Meet the Team
The STEP program is developed by faculty and staff at the University of Virginia, and in collaboration with content experts at Columbia University.
Faculty and Project Management
Faculty with strong research backgrounds in the area of early mathematics, executive function, and effective teacher-child interactions/instruction in the classroom make the development of the STEP program possible.
- Jessica Whittaker, Research Associate Professor
- Bridget Hamre, Research Associate Professor
- Ryan Kiley, Research Manager
Content and Coaching Experts
Our content and coaching team supports teachers in the implementation of STEP in early childhood classrooms. Their knowledge of effective interactions and instruction that support children’s mathematics and executive function skills brings learning to life for teachers and children alike.
- Anna Thorpe, STEP Content Developer and Coach
- Allison Leach, STEP Coach
Our instructional designers and technology specialists ensure the STEP learning and coaching experience uses the most effective technologies and online learning approaches.
- Kathy Neesen, Instructional Technology Director and Research Scientist
- Sarah Lydic, Instructional Designer and Media Specialist
- Matt Semanik, Web Developer and Technology Specialist
The development of STEP would not be possible without the contributions of other faculty and educational experts across the nation.
- Herbert Ginsberg, Jacob H. Schiff Foundations Professor Emeritus of Psychology and Education - Columbia University